This Gluten Free Rhubarb Cake Recipe is light, incredibly moist and easy to make. A simple but incredibly delicious celebration cake for spring and summer!
It finally looks like almost summer around here with long sunny days in store ahead of us. It seems to me that during the warmer months I’m all about fruits. For some reason I tend to favor chocolate during the colder months and fruit based desserts over the summer months. You can see the trend over here in the recipe archives.
With luscious juicy berries, mangoes, peaches and lots of other delicious fruit in season it actually isn’t so surprising. I already have plans to remake some of my all time favorite summer desserts this year again. One of my favorites is Kulfi- Indian Ice Cream with its delicate flavors and rich texture. Come peach season I’m also remaking these Grilled Peach Crostini because they’re so good for snacking or as appetizers for those summer parties.
* This post may contain some affiliate links. Please see our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Gluten Free Rhubarb Cake Recipe
Let’s talk about this easy Rhubarb Cake recipe for a minute. This cake is incredibly delicious. It is everything I wanted it to be and so much more! It is super moist, crumbly, light and has a beautiful texture. I’d spotted rhubarb at the store last weekend and I knew immediately I wanted to make a cake with it.
For this rhubarb almond cake I decided to roast the rhubarb first with maple syrup just so it softened slightly. While it was in the oven I whipped up the gluten free cake batter in a jiffy. The rhubarb doesn’t really take too long to roast because we don’t want it mushy. Then it was a matter of pouring it all in a cake pan and putting it in the oven to bake. There’s no icing involved because this incredible cake doesn’t need it.
This easy rhubarb cake is not too sweet and has that delicious tartness from rhubarb. That makes it a great light dessert option for those spring and summer celebrations and parties. I used almond meal for this gluten free cake recipe and it gave it a lovely nutty flavor and texture. Another great gluten free cake recipe I absolutely love is this delicious Zucchini Cake from The Minimalist Baker.
The rhubarb in the cake better gives it moisture so you end up with lovely jammy rhubarb deliciousness in the middle when you slice the cake. A little dusting of icing sugar on top and a sprinkle of sliced almonds and this lovely gluten free rhubarb cake is ready to serve!
If you try this Gluten Free Rhubarb Cake recipe, don’t forget to use #tlceats and tag me on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creation!
Rhubarb Almond Gluten Free Cake
- 3 stalks of rhubarb sliced into 4 inch pieces
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- a pinch of salt
- icing sugar for dusting optional
- Sliced almonds for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the sliced rhubarb with the maple syrup and arrange in a single line over the baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the rhubarb has softened but is still holding its shape.
- Keep the oven on and line an 18 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients (almond meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) and stir to combine. In another bowl, add the eggs, olive oil and whole milk and whisk with an electric mixer until foamy and well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Arrange the roasted rhubarb on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the center is firm and the cake has browned. The rhubarb will sink to the middle of the cake during baking.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes before releasing it from the pan. Dust with icing sugar and sprinkle the sliced almonds on top before serving.