These Chocolate Puffed Quinoa Bars are rich in protein and healthy fats. They’re easy to make and a delicious, wholesome snack!
I always try to keep some delicious, wholesome snacks at home so we have a healthy option when we’re hungry and pressed for this. If you’re looking for a no oats, no bake breakfast bar recipe, this is a great recipe. These puffed quinoa bars are packed with good fats with plenty of nuts and seeds. Quinoa also provides a good amount of protein.
These delicious bars are crunchy from the puffed quinoa with a little bit of sweetness and a hint of spice. The dark chocolate layer on top gives it a decadent feel so I often have one of these after dinner as a wholesome substitute for dessert. They’re also great for kids, especially if you’re out on errands and want to keep hunger meltdowns at bay.
How To Cook Puffed Quinoa
Another important tip I have for you guys is that if you have regular quinoa at home you can actually puff it at home yourself like popcorn! It’s incredibly easy and I did just that for the recipe. All you need to do is to heat a large pot on medium high heat. Drop a tsp of quinoa in the pot once it is hot and listen for the popping sound. Once it starts popping, add the rest of your quinoa, making sure it’s in a single layer and let it pop. You don’t have to go out and look for popped quinoa anymore!
If you’re looking for more wholesome, delicious breakfast ideas try this Mango Coconut Oatmeal recipe. It’s one of our readers’ favorite. If you prefer something savory, try these Breakfast Tacos. They’re so flavorful and easy to make!
If you try this Chocolate Puffed Quinoa Bars recipe, don’t forget to use #tlceats and tag me on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creation!
Chocolate Puffed Quinoa Bars
- 1 cup puffed quinoa*
- 1 cup nut butter
- 15 soft pitted dates processed to a pulp
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds and pistachios chopped
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp finely chopped pistachios for garnish
- In a saucepan add the coconut oil, processed dates and the nut butter and place over medium heat. Stir to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes just until everything has melted and mixed together well.
- Remove from heat and add the puffed quinoa, pepitas, chopped almonds and pistachios, coconut flakes, cinnamon and ginger powder. Mix together well, use your hands if necessary. Line an 8 or 10 inch square baking pan with parchment and transfer the mixture to it. Press the mixture in firmly and place in the refrigerator until it is firm.
- Once the mixture is firm, remove from the refrigerator. Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler or in a microwave and pour it over the bars. Spread evenly and sprinkle 3 tbsp pistachios over the surface. Allow to cool again before slicing the bars.