A healthy snack that is easy to make, spicy and crispy. These roasted chickpeas will quickly become a favorite in your home!
What is it about crispy snacks that make them so addictive? I think it has more to do with the texture and the experience of eating than taste. I’m always looking for healthy snack ideas for our home because, let’s face it, three meals a day just isn’t enough sometimes. When I’m hungry I usually reach for the first thing that is ready to eat around the kitchen. I just don’t have the patience to make something from scratch when I’m really hungry.
We go through a lot of chickpeas in our home so I usually have a lot of chickpea recipes up my sleeve. I use them to make Chhole– a spicy chickpea curry or in soups, stews and salads. I love how versatile they are and that they’re packed with a lot of fiber and protein so they’re good for you. Canned cooked chickpeas are easily available in every single grocery store but you can just as easily prepare the dried ones. Just add them to a bowl, cover with enough water to submerge them and allow them to hydrate overnight. The next morning, cook them in a pot with a lot of salted water and you’re done.
If I can help it, I avoid buying any ready to eat snacks, even if they’re touted to be healthy snacks because most snacks will still have preservatives. There are so many easy and quick healthy snacks that can be made at home that it is actually quite easy to eat a little bit better. Nut butters on homemade bread and roasted veggies are great. Roasted chickpeas are also quite a favorite around here. Plus, they’re vegan and gluten free.
These Roasted Garam Masala Chickpeas blew my mind though. They pack a punch when it comes to flavor. They’re a little spicy, crunchy, deliciously addictive and ridiculously easy to make! Plus, they can be used in so many ways. Other than snacking on you can put these in salads, over soups and stews and so much more. In fact, my next recipe is going to feature these roasted chickpeas and is a very easy and healthy recipe. To my mind, roasted chickpeas of any kind are the perfect effortless healthy snack.
Also, follow me on Instagram where I share a lot of these easy, healthy meal ideas. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter to get free recipes delivered to your inbox!
Crispy Indian Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 can 15 oz cooked chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Cover them with an absorbent kitchen towel and rub gently to dry them. Leave them uncovered for an additional 10 minutes to completely dry them.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oil, salt and the chickpeas. Mix them well to ensure the chickpeas are evenly coated.
- Spread out the chickpeas on the baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes until they're golden and crunchy. Stir the chickpeas with a spoon after they've been in the oven for 10 minutes to avoid burning. Allow to cool completely and taste to make sure they're crunchy. If they're not, return them to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and toss them with the remaining spices to evenly coat the chickpeas while they're still warm.