Better than takeout Sticky Tofu with broccoli and peppers! This easy recipe has no refined sugar and packs a punch when it comes to flavor.
If you love takeout Chinese food you’ll love this incredible recipe. This easy tofu stir fry is not too oily or cloyingly sweet like many takeout dishes. It features crispy tofu, crunchy vegetables and a seriously addictive sauce that you’ll fall in love with.
Crispy Tofu Tips
For this particular recipe I marinated the extra firm tofu in some soy sauce and garlic powder. Once marinated, it is baked in the oven until it is crispy and chewy. To make it crispy, it is important to choose extra firm tofu. The tofu also needs to be pressed to get rid of the moisture so it can crisp up. Baking it in the oven also doesn’t require a lot of oil.
The magic in this recipe lies in the sauce. While a lot of takeout dishes make use of a lot of sugar to give it that sweet taste, I’ve opted to use maple syrup. Also, the entire recipe makes use of only 3 tbsp of maple syrup. This means that the sauce isn’t too sweet but it does have that signature taste that most of us love in takeout. Other than maple syrup the sauce only involves putting all the ingredients in a mason jar and giving it a quick shake to mix it all together.
Once poured over the stir fried tofu and veggies, the sauce quickly coats everything beautifully. It only takes about 5 minutes or even less for the sauce to thicken up and become sticky.
Once you make this tofu stir fry recipe, you’ll be hooked! You can always make modifications when it comes to the veggies. Try adding other vegetables like carrots, bok choy or cauliflower if you prefer. You can also leave out the veggies altogether and simply make the tofu on its own. Either way, you’ll love this recipe.
You’ll also love these delicious Entree recipes:
If you try this sticky tofu with broccoli and peppers recipe, use #thelastcookierecipes and tag me on Instagram so I can see your beautiful creation! Also, don’t forget to leave a comment and rating here to share your feedback.
Sticky Tofu With Broccoli and Peppers
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 12 oz extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/4 tsp pepper powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Line the cutting board with an absorbent, clean kitchen towel. Place the tofu on the towel, wrap the towel over it. Place a heavy object over the top, like a cutting board and place weight over it. Allow it to drain for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the tofu is drained, dice it into even cubes. Place the tofu cubes in a large bowl and add the sesame oil and garlic powder. Mix well so the tofu is well coated. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
- Line the tofu cubes on the baking sheet and place it in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, flipping over once halfway.
- While the tofu is in the oven, prepare the sauce. Place all the ingredients listed for the sauce in a mason jar and shake well.
- Once the tofu has finished baking, heat a large wok over high heat and add the sesame oil. Add the green onions and peppers and stir fry for about 5 minutes until the peppers have slightly softened. Add the broccoli and stir fry for 5 more minutes.
- Add the tofu and the stir fry sauce and mix everything well. Cook for 5 more minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.